This is a great list of questions to help with world building. A lot of times I have a general idea of my world when I start writing and I fill in the blanks as I write. That method is really messing me up with my current project and I intend to do better with my NaNoWriMo novel this year.
If you’re reading this you’re probably getting ready to dive into the NaNoWriMo trenches! That’s fantastic news, it’s a wonderful adventure with an incredible community.
I’ve put together a collection of questions to help you with your world-building. These are far from exhaustive, but hopefully they’ll help you get things straight in your head.
What is your character’s daily environment like?
- What does it look/smell/sound like?
- What does that say about your character?
- What other type of people live there?
What impact have the people had on the environment?
- If it’s a city, have they marked it as theirs somehow? Graffiti, wards, architectural style choices?
- What impact does the environment have on the people? Does it affect their fashion choices? Their food? Their freedom of movement?
What is the surrounding environment like? i.e. what’s the larger city like? Are there mountains a days’ walk away?
- Why did the characters…
View original post 1,213 more words